New Study: Women with children sleep less

Science has finally backed up what all moms have always known – kids make us sleep deprived.

A recent study found that a women’s amount of sleep is effected by having children in the house. Men, not so much. Having children in the house was not linked to how long they slept.

mom sleeping

According to an article in Science Daily the preliminary findings of the new study will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 69th Annual Meeting in Boston in April and examined data from 5,805 in a nationwide telephone survey. Respondents were asked how long they slept with seven to nine hours per day considered ideal. Additionally they were asked how many days they felt tired in the last month.

“I think these findings may bolster those women who say they feel exhausted,” said study author Kelly Sullivan, PhD, of Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, Ga., and a member of the American Academy of Neurology. “Our study found not only are they not sleeping long enough, they also report feeling tired throughout the day.”

Researchers also looked at a numbe rof other factors that could influence sleep deprvation including age, race, education, marital status, number of children in the household, income, body mass index, exercise, employment and snoring.

However, among 2,908 women surveyed who were 45 years-old and younger, the only factor associated with not getting enough sleep was having children in the house. Each additional child increased the probability of inadequate sleep by almost 50 percent. This age group also reported feeling tired an average of 14 days a month versus 11 days for the same age group living without children.

Other factors including exercise, marital status and education level were linked to how long this age group slept.

• robin masshole mommy March 02, 2017 07.13 pm

I chuckled when I saw the title and all I could think of was “DUH”. It’s absolutely, 100% true.

• yourorganizedlifewithdaria March 02, 2017 08.23 pm

Yep. True, true and true. I think many men default to “mom will take care of it” so they don’t even hear night time disturbances. My children are in their teens and when daughter was out with a boyfriend my hubby was like “I’m going to bed.” I’m like “WHAT??? WHILE SHE’S OUT THERE?” Not me. Awake until she came home.

• Janel Berchielli (@JanelB) March 02, 2017 09.04 pm

Funny this was just reported on the news yesterday where I live. And I think it is completely true!

• GlamKaren March 03, 2017 12.25 am

Women, overall, are not great sleepers. Between family and kids and a million other things on our minds – we just cant seem to find that peaceful rest. Ugh!

• reshamadgmailcom March 03, 2017 01.36 am

i would agree that when mine was really little that i definitely didnt get the sleep i needed, but maybe not so much now a days.. i should use one of the sleep timers to really find out!

• desperatemamas March 03, 2017 02.57 am

I don’t know about you but if my little one wakes up during the night, my husband would just mention that to me (As if I weren’t already getting up to go check on her) and go back to sleep in a split second. They definitely don’t lose sleep over it. I wish I could do that. I find that after I wake up it takes me forever to fall back asleep and in the morning I feel exhausted.

• Roxanne March 03, 2017 03.28 am

I didn’t sleep well before kids either. My mind is always racing. But I noticed when I became a SAHM my evenings were shorter and I always feel guilty if I don’t let my husband sleep since he is up so early. Plenty of time for sleep when the kids are older. 😉

• terristeffes March 03, 2017 04.31 am

Lol, so now it’s proven!! I always knew it was true in my gut. Love research!

• Kindness in Demand March 03, 2017 01.20 pm

I am definitely more tired as a mom. However I don’t even know if I sleep less. Before kids I used to stay up to like 3 am and then be up by 9. I guess I just don’t sleep as fully as I once did.

• Melissa March 03, 2017 06.39 pm

Luckily I am in a safe zone for sleep because my daughter has not started going on dates and my youngest is 11 but I feel for the women and their babies and am not surprised by the results.

• annalisanuttall March 03, 2017 08.27 pm

I don’t have kids but even without kids I still sleep less. i don’t know what that say about me. xx

• Cara (@StylishGeek) March 03, 2017 09.14 pm

I totally agree! Ever since I became a Mom I slept less. Wish I could sleep more though because as a Mom I find more things and tasks that needs to be done than the time I wasn’t a parent.

• Holly March 04, 2017 12.39 am

I know this to be true in my house. Of course my husband could sleep though just about anything. Me on the other hand, I keep one ear open all the time. I also stay up really late doing blog related stuff which doesn’t help. My husband does get up with the kids on the weekend so that helps.

• cvnxena March 04, 2017 12.44 pm

haha this is definitely true! I find I am a much lighter sleeper now that I have a child because you mentally keep an ear out, my hubby is very good though and wakes up too if necessary but he seems to be a sounder sleeper

• The Belly Rules The Mind March 04, 2017 05.00 pm

I have no clue why they needed to do a study for this. This is so true and we have been seeing this for years now.

• Kim March 04, 2017 05.13 pm

So ironic because I was reading about this yesterday. I can’t believe they spent money on this- lol. So true though.

• Tabitha Shakespeare March 04, 2017 06.12 pm

Haha this is one of those studies that I feel like everyone already knew that! My hubs can sleep thought a temper tantrum thunder storm! lol

• Heather March 04, 2017 10.41 pm

I love this! My husband travels for work and although he says it’s awful being away from us, all I can think about is how he has a bed to himself for 8+ hours of sleep each night!

• reesann723 March 05, 2017 02.28 am

Yup sad but oh so true! I don’t even remember what it’s like to have a good night’s sleep

• Dawn McAlexander March 05, 2017 02.33 am

I don’t think this was a big secret. Any woman who has a child will tell you that they are sleep deprived lol.

• Lydia March 05, 2017 07.57 pm

Obviously! Any woman with a kid is (almost) always in need of sleep.

• HilLesha March 06, 2017 02.34 am

I wouldn’t argue with this! I used to be a heavy sleeper before I had children. Not only I’m now a light-sleeper, but it is hard to get back to sleep once I get woken up.

• The Trophy WifeStyle March 06, 2017 08.10 pm

Ahhhhhh I swear with or without kids woman just sleep less. My daughter is a pretty good sleeper these days and I still get crappy sleep lol